How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27256
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and I have paid off Arizona child support and now

This answer was rated:

my husband and I have paid off Arizona child support and now his ex wife is asking for more money and threatening him will a lawyer if he does not come up with an amount that he will pay her. Yes he did owe back child support for many years that we just paid off. but she says he still owes her more money. What do we do??
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. How old is the child? Does she have any evidence or is there any court order in place requiring him to pay additional support? Why is she saying he owes more money and does she have a basis to support it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The child is now about 27 years old and she received state help in Arizona and yes thier was a court order that Arizona has a copy of. She is saying that for some of the years they were divorced she did not receive and money or help from any state. i have only been married to him for the last 7 years and we have been paying Arizona up until 4 weeks ago when his employer received a letter saying it was paid in full.

Paula, thank you for the additional information. If the State of Arizona has sent a letter to his employer and there is evidence that his child support obligations have been fulfilled, then at this point, he has no legal obligation to pay the mother anything else. There was previously a court order in place, directing him to pay a specific amount of child support each month. As a result of the child being 27 years old at this time and him just finishing pay off the amount owed, I am inclined to believe that he was in arrears. If the said amount owed plus any other interest and fees have been satisfied, his obligation to pay now would be over with. If the mother thinks he owes additional money, she would have to take him back to court and prove to the Judge, that she is entitled to it. Based upon what you stated above, it appears that she is wanting your husband to pay her money which the State was supposed to provide her, which she never received, yet took no action to collect. If she was entitled to it, she should have pursued the State. For her to come back years later and make a claim that he has to pay and make up for what the State failed to do, likely lacks any merit. She can make all the demands she wants but if your husband has paid everything that is owed and have documentation to support it, he does not need to give her another penny at this time. Moreover, he can sent to her a letter, from the State, stating that he has paid in full. If she has a legal basis for him to pay, let her show it to him and then proceed to court and make a Judge order it. Until then, he does not have to pay anything unless court ordered or demanded by the State.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you