Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I recently completely my preliminary divorce agreement with

a mediator/divorce attorney. In...
I recently completely my preliminary divorce agreement with a mediator/divorce attorney. In going through this process i learned that this particular mediator was quite dishonest about his fees. Therefore we (my soon-to-be ex-husband and I) are seeking new legal assistance to complete our divorce process, as we no longer wish to work with our current attorney.

What type of attorney should I be looking up for this?
6/13/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

A family law attorney. May I recommend the NJ Bar referral program by county - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

You can "vet" the attorney by asking the following questions:

-have you handled matters like these before?
-what is your fee and can we have this in writing?
-how fast do you feel this matter shall end?
-what do you require from us to begin this matter?
-what is the worst case scenario here?

It is recommended that you talk to at least 3-4 attorneys before making a decision on one that you prefer. Best of luck!

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hi Ely, thanks very much.

How can I be certain that the lawyer I am referred through the NJ Bar Referral Program will be good and their fees will be legitimate?

Friend,

Hi Ely, thanks very much.

You are quite welcome.

Attorneys that are on a state or county -sponsored referral program are normally vetted ahead of time by the bars to ensure a minimum amount of experience and reasonable fees - that is the good thing about them! Now of course an attorney can do whatever they want and charge a higher fee, but this is why it is recommended to get several attorney quotes. Another tip - if the attorney demands to charge you a "consultation fee" before even discussing anything, it is best to seek others.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.

ok, thank you kindly.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
You are most welcome.
Ely, Counselor at Law