How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother-in-law is a widow and lives in Florida. Her daughter

This answer was rated:

My mother-in-law is a widow and lives in Florida. Her daughter sold her house and has been living with her for 1-1/2 years and is now pressuring my mother-in-law to put her husband on her will to get the house in the event something happens to her. The house is paid for. Her daughter is verbally abusing her, called her an SOB, etc. She just called me crying and is afraid of her daughter. What do you suggest I do? My husband [her son] and I are going to go down to get her [we live in Pittsburgh area] as soon as we can, but until we can, I am afraid her daughter is out of control and don't know what she may do. My mother-in-law is afraid to call the police as she is afraid of her daughter. Please give me some advice.

Welcome and thank you for your questions


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard


Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am sorry to hear of this situation for your Mother in Law. So the daughter, your sister in law is living in the Mother's house and now is pressuring her to sign papers, is that correct?


And because your MIL will not do this, the daughter is being abusive?

When do you think is the soonest you can get your MIL? Or can she take a bus up to you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is correct. We are leaving tomorrow morning by car to get her. My mother in law is terribly afraid. When I suggested I talk to her daughter, she said "oh no, I'm afraid what she might do". When we do get there, should we get law enforcement to go with us?



Thank you for this information. I suggest that you are not going to be able to rationalize with the daughter. And, of course, the Mother can bring you into her home and leave with you.


You can try to contact the local sheriff in the county and request an escort because you might be expecting trouble. They may or may not go with you until there is trouble, unfortunately.


And if they do not go with you, then I suggest you go to the home, you get your Mother in Law to a local attorney and have her complete a Power of Attorney for you and your husband which means that you and he will be in charge should the MIL not be able to make decisions.


I suggest, too that you can talk to the local attorney about having the daughter and her husband evicted. This is a process and not one that you will want to take on yourselves because of the temperament you describe for the daughter.


In the meantime, I suggest that the only way your MIL will be able to do anything before you get there is to call the police, tell them she is afraid of the daughter and she is abusive and request a restraining order until eviction can be done


My concern with that is the daughter may say the MIL is crazy and request she be taken in to hospital for 72 hour evaluation.



Samuel II and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions