How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorced in nv. I was ordered to have my house appraised

This answer was rated:

I got divorced in nv. I was ordered to have my house appraised and refinanced and give my ex half. I got it appraised, got approval on the refinance but my ex is refusing to signs the documents because she thinks the appraisal is low! What do I do now?
Also, she lied about an IRA account we had. She told her lawyer, and it is in the divorce decree that I get half of it. I went to the bank to get it, they told me that neither I or my ex can touch that money because it is set up as a college account for the kids. What can I do about that also?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To pursue both of these options, first of all you can file a 'motion for clarification' pertaining to the IRA. As those funds were split between the parties, regardless on whether or not it is a college fund or a personal account, you can ask the judge to clarify whether or not she owes you a share of the assets. That is the easiest and simplest solution. The second issue requires either an attempt to compromise where a second appraisal is held, at her expense, and a value for the property is re-evaluated. Then the value that is the average of the appraisals is used to evaluate the property. Or you can file a petition for contempt of court against the ex and claim that she is refusing to comply in bad faith. The first option is much cheaper, easier, and likelier to escape further litigation.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information. If I find that I have follow up questions my I contact you again?

Thank you for your follow-up, LaNette.

Glad to help! Yes, you can contact me directly--next time you can simply start your question "For Dimitry..." and I will be notified that you are seeking me out. Best of luck to you, and if satisfied, please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you at this time. Thank you!