How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How old does a child have to be, in a custody case, to say

This answer was rated:

How old does a child have to be, in a custody case, to say they don't want to be held to a court ruling for child visitation?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

A child does not have a legal right to decline to comply with a court order of visitation. That said, you may petition the court for modification to the visitation agreement based upon the child's preference. A Texas court must consider the child's preferences once the child reaches the age of 12.

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Typically, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child and the child's reasons for requesting the change.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What if this visitation ruling is effecting the child emotionally?

The emotional effect on the child would be a substantial change in circumstances warranting a modification hearing. At the modification hearing the court must consider the child's desire to stop visitation

Does this make sense to you? Would you like me to find the forms for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


What county issued the current order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Here is the modification kit for the State of Texas. Ector appears to use these forms rather than its own specific forms.

I wish you the best that this difficult situation.

Please ask for me directly if I can assist you again in the future. To direct your question to me, begin the question with "For FiveStarLaw"
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you