How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 3 grandchildren.... 3 different fathers My daughter

This answer was rated:

I have 3 grandchildren.... 3 different fathers
My daughter is not currently in their lives. One of the fathers has recently filed for sole custody. He is trying to limit when I see her and now "IF" I see her. I have always been in their lives and I am the only way these 3 children see each other. I currently live in Illinois and he filed in Kansas. I don't have alot of money to hire a big attorney. Please, what can I do?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The Kansas court, does have the ability to order visitation of the grandchild to you, under Statute 38-129, which I have provided below. The burden would be on you, as the moving party, to show that it is in the best interest of the child to have it ordered. Since the father filed in Kansas and your daughter is not in their lives nor appears to be contesting this, you would need to file a motion with the court in Kansas, to have it ordered. This is not something that requires an big name, expensive attorney but does require your legal interest to be represented, considering you reside out of State and are not going to want to travel back and forth, to appear in court. The attorney can appear on your behalf and can limit or even try and allow you to appear by phone, as needed, for the hearings. It certainly sounds as though you have a good faith basis to proceed but do need to go before the court, to have it ordered, so the father will be forced to comply.

Statute 38-129 : Visitation rights of grandparents. (a) The district court may grant the grandparents of an unmarried minor child reasonable visitation rights to the child during the child's minority upon a finding that the visitation rights would be in the child's best interests and when a substantial relationship between the child and the grandparent has been established.
(b) The district court may grant the parents of a deceased person visitation rights, or may enforce visitation rights previously granted, pursuant to this section, even if the surviving parent has remarried and the surviving parent's spouse has adopted the child. Visitation rights may be granted pursuant to this subsection without regard to whether the adoption of the child occurred before or after the effective date of this act.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I'm not sure where I proceed:


How do I find an attorney that I can afford?

Do I need to get an attorney in Kansas or Illinois?

Is there a legal aid service that can help me?

Am I able to file papers myself...(I am not qualified)



I would be happy to respond. The best place to find an attorney, would be with the Kansas Bar Association. Here is their phone number. 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN. Since the matter is before the court in Kansas, that is where the attorney needs to be licensed to practice. Since you are not a resident of Kansas, their Legal Aid service would not likely be able to help but you can always speak with them and see if they can refer you to another service. Here is their contact number as well. 1-800-723-6953. You certainly can represent yourself in this matter but if you are unqualified and not sure what to do, it is best to retain legal counsel, since you do not want to hurt your chances of being able to obtain court ordered visitation, with the child.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I originally called the State Attorney's office of Kansas - they gave me the same number you did. The first # XXXXX gave me XXX-XXX-XXXX never answers their phone that is why I went on-line (never done this before).


I can certainly try the next number.

If that number doesn't respond then do you have any thing else. Or do I just start calling attorneys?


If you need to search for attorneys, you can also use www.martindale.come and and also read reviews and ratings on them, as well. Moreover, you can conduct a google search, entering "family law attorneys in ____________ county, Kansas", which should reveal a few for you to contact, speak with and obtain quotes from.
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions