How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27232
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a wife does not sign to be a power of attorney along with

This answer was rated:

if a wife does not sign to be a power of attorney along with her 3 children (all above the age of 21), does she lose the right to make decisions ?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Would you mind sharing with me the basis for the POA and what decision would need to be made for the husband?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

husband wants the poa in the case that something happens to him , but does not want the wife to be the sole poa because of much property ownership in realestate . I guess he does not want the wife to be making the decisions alone. But what will protect the wife from being out voted in a decsion that she might want to make ? like sell property, How can the husband give all the power over the wife in decision making to the children after a 35 plus marriage.?

Donna, thank you for the additional information. If the wife does not sign and accept to have POA along with the three other children, then she will not have a controlling say, in any decisions made, regarding her husband. She will be entitled to make her own decisions regarding herself and certainly voice her concerns when dealing with issues involving her husband but the three children will have the final say. It is important to remember, that the wife will still retain her legal interest/share in any property or assets, which has been accumulated over the course of the marriage and the three children, can not take her share away. They can certainly make decisions regarding the father share but if there are disputes or any wrong doing by the children, the mother would have to proceed through the court to protect her interest and that of her husband. The children have an obligation to act in the best interest of the father when making these decisions and should also consider the mother and how she will be effected, with these decisions. It is very possible that while they may act on behalf of the father, the mothers cooperation would be needed. A classic example of this would be if they wanted to sell a piece of property that was jointly held and a marital asset, which the mother did not want to sell. If there are issues, it may be best for the husband to give POA to an independent third party, who lacks and potential interest or gain. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions