How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Can you please define Ex Parte, in Kern County, CA?

This answer was rated:

Hello, Can you please define Ex Parte, in Kern County, CA? No one is married, or seeking divorce. Dad is seeking custody, says there is an "Ex Parte Hearing", today, Monday, at 10 am. We were informed by the dad, yesterday, Sunday. We have received no paperwork from the dad, or the court. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you for your question, Pamela. Please permit me to assist you.

"Ex parte" simply means that one party is seeking a hearing for one party. In this case an ex parte hearing means that he is seeking an emergency hearing on the basis that going through the longer and more conventional hearings would somehow not be in the best interest for the child. For example if one parent is attempting to abduct the child and go across state lines, seeking an emergency ex parte hearing by requesting emergency sole custody would be the proper approach. No paperwork would be sent because if the other party does not appear, the court is still able to make a decision. However, as the court system is based on both parties having their day in court, an ex parte decision is always temporary and is based on the parties both appearing at some point for a full hearing regardless of the emergency hearing outcome. It would be very much in the mother's interest to go to court and appear at this hearing if she can.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions