How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have set up an ugma/il account for my son some time ago.

This answer was rated:

I have set up an ugma/il account for my son some time ago. Can we use the money to buy hm a car when he turns 16? We would not qualify for financial aid.

texlawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with question.

texlawyer :

Unfortunately, no. Money in a UGMA may only be used by the minor once he reaches the age of majority. The only exception that is if the minor begins higher education before they reach the age of majority. In that instance, it can be used with the consent of the custodian (you).

texlawyer :

However, since he's 16, the money can't be used to purchase a car.

texlawyer :

Once he does turn 18, however, it can be used for whatever purpose he wants. Any money he takes out will be taxed at his marginal rate, which would likely be low.

Customer: Makes sense and as I expected. Thank you. All set.
texlawyer :

Glad to help.

texlawyer :

Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

texlawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Chris T., JD and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions