How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is John W. Brock again. Id liketo know if parental rights

This answer was rated:

This is John W. Brock again. I'd liketo know if parental rights can be restored at the request of the mother or child. Does it matter? Well it matters to me on paper, legally i would like to be her Father again if she wishes, my Daughter.

Thank you for your follow-up, John. I would be happy to assist you again.

Once the child is an adult, parental rights cannot really be restored. But then again you do not need those rights anymore. Please allow me to explain.

"Parental rights" are rights that an adult parent has toward a minor child pertaining to physical custody and legal decisions, such as child care, schooling, medical decisions, religious training, and so forth. Once a child is 18, the child is an adult and can make those decisions herself. Those 'parental rights' are no longer needed because that is something the child can do for herself. This is why there is nothing to restore, you can simply consider being part of her life and so long as you are still listed on the birth certificate as her father, you have the same rights as the mother at this point (really).

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you