How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife,her two uncles, came into some money from an inheritance.

This answer was rated:

my wife,her two uncles, came into some money from an inheritance. The money was placed into an account until everything was to clear. The oldest uncle took all the money out of the account. How would my wife go about retrieving the money?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you this afternoon.

Was this an escrow account or a regular account? How much money is she entitled to? Did the uncle ever explain or state why he took all the funds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you for your follow-up. If this was an escrow account, how was he able to get the funds? Who was the escrow agent? How mcuch did he remove and on what basis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he was the power of attorney, the amount was approx. $40,000. I would have to get back with you about the escrow agent. He had given us $5000 at one point and said that we could not withdraw anymore until the lawyer was paid.


Thank you for your follow-up. A power of attorney would indeed allow him to remove the funds. My only concern here is 'why' he removed the funds. If he removed them to pay attorney fees or other expenses, then his removal is both valid/legal and permitted. If he simply removed the funds because he could (as he had a POA), that is not permitted because your wife had a right to a third minus all expenses owed. The amount she is owed would then be likely higher than small claims, meaning your wife would need to retain counsel and sue the uncle in either probate court or district court for her share of the funds, plus court costs and attorney fees.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions