Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

How do I request a continuance for a pre-trial conference in

How do I request a continuance for a pre-trial conference in a marriage dissolution case in Minnesota that is scheduled for tomorrow 06/04/2013.

texlawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

Typically, a request continuance is filed with the court in a motion, setting out the reason you are asking for the case to be reset and giving notice to the other side.

Customer:

texlawyer :

Most judges set deadlines for requesting a continuance, so you should check on that.

texlawyer :

The best thing you can do at this late date is call the other side and see if they will agree to a continuance. If they will, simply call the court and inform them of your agreement.

Customer:

I will try that. Thank you.

texlawyer :

If they won't, you will have to file a motion. However, since the hearing is tomorrow, you've left very little time for the judge to see the motion and issue a ruling.

texlawyer :

Do you have any questions?

texlawyer :

If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck!

Customer:

Hi, If I am filing a motion for temporary spousal maintenance (basically amending my original answer to the dissolution - I am the respondent) how do I know what court date to put on the form for when it will be heard?

texlawyer :

If you don't have a hearing date yet, you should give the judge a date range when you are available.

texlawyer :

If you have a final hearing set, you can use that date.

Customer:

can i call the court and ask them if there is a final date set and what it is? My attorney is no longer representing me as I could no longer afford it. my ex has been dragging these proceeding out to "run me out of money".

texlawyer :

Yes, you can call the court and ask.

Customer:

thank you