How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live with the father of my child and we are not

This answer was rated:

i live with the father of my child and we are not i have full custody of our child or do we have equal rights to the child according to nys he signed the birth certificate.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, if he is legally listed on the birth certificate as the parent, then you both share exact co-equal rights to custody of the child. Neither of you have superior rights to one another, and it is irrelevant whether or not you are married or not. What is important is if both are listed as legal parents, and if that takes places, without a court order, both have equal rights.

Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions