How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas been married four years, I have evidence my

This answer was rated:

I live in Texas been married four years, I have evidence my Husband is cheating with someone in another country and may even be planning to bring her over here. my name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed of the house although acquired when married. He is starting a business with a friend, he wants a divorce, what rights do I have? I do not want a divorce, what can I do? Can he put me out of the house because my name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed? What can I get for my pain and suffering, he up rooted me from my home in the south and now decides he does not want to be married anymore, just like that? What can be done. What happens when he files the divorce papers and I am served?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Can you please tell me how long have you been married?

Can you also please tell me what is your current annual income and what is your husband's annual income?

Why do you want to stay married to the man who is cheating on you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he makes alot more money than me. I only make about 30000 dollars a year, when it is all said and done he makes about 130 000 and will be making more when his logistics business starts to prosper. We have only been married 4 years on june 13th. I am from a family of traditional marriages, I waited until I was almost fifty years old to get married, he is the one who brought me to Texas, he pursued me if he wasnt ready he should have left me where I was at home with my family, by my family, I am He is all I have here. All marriages go through trials and tribulations, I really really love him Alex, no we dont have any kids.


Thank you for your follow up.

Texas is a community property state, so generally as long as the house was purchased during the marriage, your would be entitled to half of the equity in the house and also to half of any other marital assets that had been acquired during the marriage.

Also, you might be entitled to a durational alimony, but given the short term of the marriage, such alimony would only be limited to 2-3 years after the divorce.

Unfortunately, if your husband wants to file for a divorce, there is nothing that you can legally do to keep him married to you, as the court cannot force people to stay married who want to divorce.

Also, unfortunately, when it comes to marriages, the law does not provide any type of compensation for emotional pain / suffering sustained during the marriage, as people enter into marriage and stay married voluntarily and always have an option of obtaining a divorce.

I would strongly suggest that you do document your husband's infidelity and consult and retain local divorce attorney, who will be able to evaluate your entire situation and will fight for your legal rights and interests in your upcoming divorce.

I am once again very sorry that you are in this difficult situation and I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about in the case of going to another country and bringing someone over here as the person my husband is having an affair with is not an American so too I think that is why he wants to divorce me. Also the question is if he serves me papers what will happen will I have to leave the house?

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to stop your husband from traveling outside of the US and from attempting to bring a woman back into the US.

However, the house is your marital property and you have an equal right to stay in the house, as your husband does and you would not have to leave the house or forced out of the house, until the court reviews the divorce petition and determines how the community (marital) property would be distributed.

I wish you the best of luck!