How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have shared custody (I get 6 hrs a week for visitation) of

This answer was rated:

I have shared custody (I get 6 hrs a week for visitation) of my 1 year old daughter with my ex-wife; she is currently making my daughter "unavailable" for over a month for my I have any say in this?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Is the mother indicating why she is refusing your court ordered visitation?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No she is not, all she says is that my child is unavailable. Is this something that I can report through court or human health services? Would I need a lawyer to assist or could I just bring it myself?

Hello again, Matt, and thank you for clarifying that for me.

Violating a court order typically exposes a parent to a risk of being held in contempt of court and even jailed by the court until they adhere to the terms of the order. Often a violating parent will begin to comply once they receive a communication from an attorney informing them of this and threatening them with legal action if they continue to violate the court's order. So you could retain an attorney for the limited purpose of communicating such a demand to see whether that is effective in motivating the mother to comply.

If not, then a motion for contempt may be filed with the court requesting that the court hold the parent in contempt or jail her due to her violations. It is good to maintain a journal of the violations so you can attest to the times she has refused court-ordered visitation.

You could file the motion yourself and set a hearing without an attorney, although it is usually recommended that an experienced attorney be retained. Here is a link to a site I located which provides a form for filing the motion:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again.