How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband is late on child support payments. I have read

This answer was rated:

My ex husband is late on child support payments. I have read that the state of Texas will garnish his income tax return. He has told me that the state also took his new wife's income tax return. Is that possible?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

The new wife's income tax refund can be attached if she filed a joint return with the payor parent and/or deposited the refund Into a joint account. If the new wife did not sign a joint return and/or did not deposit into a joint account, her refund would not be subject to attachment

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Jean,

I see that you rated my service as "OK" - although I appreciate the positive rating, is there something else that you wanted to know? It's my aim to provide excellent service.