How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have been married for 20 years now and we live in california,

Resolved Question:

Hi I have been married for 20 years now and we live in california, my husband is cheating on me. And jst up and left 2 days ago saying he needs to be alone, I want a divorce, all the cars, boats,trucks, trailers and our property is all in his name, we got all of thee things while being married, he is trting to take every vehical and everything saying he will just put it in someone elses name? He also wants to take my truck that I have been driving for over 7 years because he says he can cause its in his name. Can he do this? Do I have rights to half of it all or some or none? I just don't know what to do? Please help! I will lose my job if he takes my truck-our truck in his name. Please what can I do? I don't have much money for an attorney but will hopefull obtain one by next week but im afraid I will be homeless, carless and he gets everything cause I wasn't allowed to put anything in my name.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is FiveStarLaw. How awful. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

You can consider filing for divorce. Under California law you are entitled to half of all the assets acquired during the marriage regardless of the fact that the assets are in your husband's name. Once you file for divorce, there will be an automatic restraining order in effect preventing the sale or transfer of any assets during the pendency of the divorce. Due to your husband's threats to transfer/take assets, I suggest that you consider filing for divorce promptly

California has an extremely informative and free self-help site for divorce complete with the forms and directions. Would you like me to provide you with a link?

Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Please send the link. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answer.

Here is a link to the California self-help website:

The required forms can be found at this link:

Additionally here is a link to the local self-help centers where you can find free assistance in completing the forms if necessary:

I wish you the best at this difficult time.

Please let me know if I can assist you further
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you