How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know of a sexual molestation case that happened in North

This answer was rated:

I know of a sexual molestation case that happened in North Dakota 26 years ago she is now an adult & it was her father who molested her over a period of 10 years. this man is still walking around free & has shown signs of the interest in molesting again can I report this 26 year old crime & get him off the streets so he cannot offend again?
Thank you for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Was he ever prosecuted back 26 years ago?

How old is your daughter now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No his family only found out about 10 years ago & they chose to keep it a secret.Not my daughter My niece I think about 35

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the information. I want to look up a couple of things for you. I will be back with an answer asap. It may take several minutes.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was molested as a child by my grandfather 45 years ago I do not want this to hang on my head if he affends again & another life is ruined.

Hi Sandy,

I am SO sorry for the pain that your niece has suffered because of her father's HORRID and illegal behavior. Your niece needs to be VERY watchful of her own children. She should NOT allow him to be alone with her children.

The North Dakota laws are VERY specific.

State v. Goebel, 725 N.W.2d 578 (N.D. 2007§29-04-03.1 and §29-04-03.2n) when read together, if then victim is under 15 at the time of the offense, the statute of limitations does not begin to run until the victim reaches the age of 15, which extends the initial seven- year period until the victim is 22, but if the victim does not report the offense to law enforcement within that seven- year period, the limitations periods runs for 3 years after the offense is reported.

The whole statute can be found in the link below:

So, unfortunately, it is too late for your niece to prosecute him for the abuse that happened to her as a child.

I wish I could have given you a more positive response. But, the law is clear.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!


Many customers have asked how they can specifically direct a question to me in the future. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "xavierjd” in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you!

xavierjd and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name in the subject line as the expert.

Thanks again,