N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

My girlfriend has been living with me for 4 years. Could she

My girlfriend has been living with me for 4 years. Could she have legal grounds to demands portions of my assets, in the case that we separate? She does not pay rent, and contributes approximately 5 percent of the household financials. We have relocated
to multiple states over the past 4 years, but currently reside in Maryland. Thank you.
You asked:
Could she have legal grounds to demands portions of my assets, in the case that we separate?
The answer is No, not unless you had a cohabitation agreement or a contract in which you agreed to pool your property or support each other.
My answer assumes you did not have any children together. If you did, that would present a different issue.
I hope this information is helpful.