How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a law in the state of Iowa that a grandparent can

This answer was rated:

Is there a law in the state of Iowa that a grandparent can get visitation rights to their grandchildren? thanks Ron
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes there is case law governing grandparent visitation in Iowa. The court may grant visitation rights to grandparents under the following limited circumstances:
  • The parent of the child, who is the child of the grandparent or grandchild of a great-grandparent, has died.
  • The child is in foster care
  • The parent who is not the child of the grandparent has custody of the child and the child's stepparent has been issued a final adoption decree.
  • The grandparent seeks visitation of a grandchild born out of wedlock that is in the custody of the parent who is not the child of the grandparent


Here are the 3 Iowa Supreme Court opinions which comprise the current law:

Spiker v. Spiker

In re Marriage of Howard

Santi v. Santi

January 20, 2006

May 7, 2003

September 6, 2001

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

their are no deaths or divorces I sold and give part of my business to my son he is not happy and will not let his four children visit our home, we live in the same town, in your opinion would I have grounds to get legal visitation #13070784-350

Sadly not.

Unfortunately, if both parents choose to deny visitation to a grandparent, the court cannot award grandparent visitation over the parents' objection. The US Supreme Court held that parents "have a fundamental right to make decisions concerning the care, custody and control" of their children".

Ellen and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you