How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9415
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a final judgement of injunction for protection of against

This answer was rated:

I have a final judgement of injunction for protection of against violence issued against me by my ex-wife. Does this have an expirationn date? Also, how difficult would it be for me to win an appeal on this if I have mental health issues?
I'm sorry to hear this.

This type of order expires in one year, but can be renewed if she files a petition to extend it, see

You can get a free consultation from some of the family law attorneys listed by location here.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the difference between a protective order and a final judgement of injunction for protection against domestic violence? My attorney said that in my case that it does not have a duration of one year and is permanent. I have the final judgement of injunction for protection against domestic violence.

Your attorney is probably correct. The statute states:
(c) The terms of an injunction restraining the respondent under subparagraph (a)1. or ordering other relief for the protection of the victim under subparagraph (a)7. shall remain in effect until modified or dissolved. Either party may move at any time to modify or dissolve the injunction. No specific allegations are required. Such relief may be granted in addition to other civil or criminal remedies.

A protective order is usually considered a temporary remedy and a final judgment is considered a permanent remedy.

I'm sorry that the statute is so long and confusing. Does this make my answer any clearer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. Thank you. This is just difficult as my ex-wife has this on me and I want to contact her to show her I've changed but I cannot go to jail again.

You are not allowed to contact her if the judgment includes a no contact provision. You can file a motion to dissolve the injunction based on changed circumstances, but you cannot otherwise contact her.

I am sorry the government is so paternalistic that it presumes to know what is best for you.