How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27988
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I failed on my payment plan, now facing possible wage garnishment

This answer was rated:

I failed on my payment plan, now facing possible wage garnishment and other threats by IRS. Can IRS enter my house if I am not there? I travel every week out of town and cant sleep worried they will show and harass my children when I am not present. Can my wife refuse to let them in if I am not present? House is rented, dont owe much other than clothing, furniture and electronics are rented. I also worry they will raid the house and harm my mothers urn. Please advise, thank you.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The IRS will not just enter your home. They have no interest in seizing the physical items inside and trying to sell them to satisfy the amount owed. They will likely go after your bank account and any other assets that you may have to satisfy the debt but personal belongings contained inside, would not likely be sought. They would need to have a court order to enter the home and there would be no basis, based upon what you described above, for them to raid it. Your wife never has to let anyone in the home, unless they have a court order or warrant to enter. If you have a tax firm, that should have answers for you, since they are representing your interest and you are paying them to do so. The fact that you failed two times on a payment plan is certainly an issue but to get an answer from the tax firm that " they do not know how to approach this" is not very reassuring. As such, you may want to retain the services of another firm, who can better represent you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Hi Raul. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your promp response. I am aware they will go after my bank account first, they have done it before. My main concern is that they show up and bother my family. From your point of view, do you think there is potential they will come to my house. I am doing everything I can to make this payment plan work. I am offering/asking them a direct deduction out of my pay. Or is going to peoples house sort of a last resort? I am not that happy with the firm working for me but paid them already and cant afford anothe firm at this time. Any advice will help. Thank you.
I understand. No, I do not think the IRS will show up at your door nor anyone else. They will not appear and bother your family. You are their main concern and they will go after your financially. Of course, the failure to pay income tax in a crime and could result in prosecution, which would be a last resort. The only thing you can do is contact them and work with them, making an effort to pay this off.
FamilyAnswer and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Raul, did this help clarify things for you? Please let me know what else I can do to help. Thank you.