How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just want to make sure I am clear on your previous answer,

This answer was rated:

I just want to make sure I am clear on your previous answer, so if I were to leave I basically would face abandonment of our property and would most likely have to obtain a court order to come back?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your new question.

Abandonment is a legal term that would not apply in this situation. However once you have moved out of the house, the house occupant (your husband) does not have a legal obligation to allow you back into the house. Therefore as a practical matter you may find yourself unable to obtain your property without first filing a court action. This is why others in a similar situation obtain the FVPO to allow them to remain in the house and prevent the spouse from returning
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you