AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide
66829710

Hello

Hello 2013-5-19
I adopted my grandchildren last year. My daughter (their mother) was murdered by her ex-husband, their father right after they had gotten a divorce. The courts have given the ex-husband’s parents some weekend visitation, and a two solid week summer visitation period. I have been told that they cannot take the children out of state without my written permission. We live in the state on Indiana.
My questions are?
Is this true?
Do they need my written permission?
What Law is it that protects my children?
What rights do I have, if they take them out of state without my permission?
What can I do if they do this without my permission?
Thank you Eddie

AttyCBradford : Hello! Generally, if there is a "no travel" provision and/or restriction it would be in the custody arrangement. You stated that the Court gave the ex's parents visitation. Whether or not they can take them out of the state without written permission or order of the Court will depend on what is written in the visitation paperwork or judgment from the court. Generally, this is a standard provision. If you are afraid of them taking the children out of the state and there is no provision that they can't, you should move to modify the current orders. Once children have been moved across state lines it is extremely difficult and costly to get them back.
AttyCBradford : As for your rights, if you believe that they might "abduct" the children, then you need to instantly move to modify these orders and/or refuse to allow the visitation.
AttyCBradford : I would also suggest talking with the other parents and asking for a reason why they want to be out of state and all travel information, including dates, times, phone numbers and flight numbers etc. Also do not let them leave without a return flight booked
AttyCBradford : If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed