How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 11 year old child......I am now married and my husband

This answer was rated:

I have an 11 year old child......I am now married and my husband wants to adopt my child and give him his last name..(my child has my maiden name)
I was very young when I had my child and I frankly don't know who the father is and none of the boys cared to know if they were the dad excet for two. They got the dna testing done but neither was the dad. Didn't want to embarrass my parents any husband and I now live in FL. So help me if you can or give me some advice. Thank you.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


I am a Florida licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Step-parent adoption is a fairly streamlined process. You will need to file a petition with the court to permit the adoption. After you file the petition, the court may do a home study of your family, however this step may be waived by the court. Finally there will be a hearing to finalize the adoption.

Please give me one moment to locate the forms for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since I don't know who the father this going to make a simpler process?
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much Nicole for the "good service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"