How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9410
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Maryland divorce law

This answer was rated:

Maryland divorce law
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me what your question is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago. goes. Are you familiar with obtaining divorce outside the US, for instance in the Dominican Republic?
I am sorry but I am not. I thought your questions pertained to divorce in Maryland. Please let me know what the issue is and I can always opt out and try to find an expert who can help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
divorce can be granted in Domin. Repub. It can then be registered in MD
Then also related to Immigration under a K-1 visa... pretty complicated, have 3 atty working it, just nervously searching it out today too..
Thank you. I am going to OPT out and another expert can try and assist you. Please hold on and someone will be with you as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please clarify the situation a little more.

Where are you?

Where is your spouse?

Do you both want a divorce?

Are there any children of the marriage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We both reside in Maryland. I think she will sign a no-fault agreement. No children, no split assets. I am being told that by filing in the Dominican Republic, using notarized documents with one spouse present, they will grant divorce. And that this filing alone is suitable to then proceed with filing a Fiance visa in US (i.e that I am indeed divorced) It is cited in literature (web) that Maryland is a state that recognizes this type of divorce. The next issue would be to have this recorded in Maryland. I think that's where the challenge will lie. An attorney that works with divorce in DR maintains that past cases have all gone unchallenged. Also, an Immigration attorney that works with the Philippines maintains that the divorce document from DR is all that is needed to be able to then file a K-1 visa application in US. So there are several concerns or questions; will the DR divorce be sufficient to file for a K-1, and then what is likely to happen in MD when I go to have the divorce recorded (excuse my terminology, legal isn't my field..) And- are there any innovative solutions if MD doesn't recognize DR divorce as far as how to proceed with marrying my K-1 fiance, or any other way to have here stay. It is no longer safe for her to live in Manila, crime, she's alone there. My doomsday plan is to liquidate assets and retire over there.. different story for another day..
Thanks much,
Why don't you want to file for divorce in Maryland?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a Fiance in the Philippines. Maryland normally requires 12 mos of separation, before granting a no-fault. I want to start on a Fiance Visa application as soon as possible.
As long as the divorce is by mutual agreement, then Maryland will recognize a Dominican Republic divorce. See Roberts v. Roberts, 35 Md.App. 497, 371 A.2d 689 (Md.App. 1977) and Blum v. Blum, 295 Md. 135, 453 A.2d 824 (Md. 1983)

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much. That is what I was told by 2 attorney's already. Immigration attorney that practices in Philippines, as well as atty in FL that works with divorce in DR. I think the challenge may lie in getting the final document recorded in Maryland, if they aren't aware of this locally (small town , Carroll County..) Also, worst case, if they are reluctant, I'm just looking for an alternative way to still have her stay on and get green card. Thanks again.
The cases I cited apply throughout the State, so you can cite them to the local authorities if there is a problem in getting them to recognize the legality of the out of State divorce judgment.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9410
Experience: since 1983
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating!