How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16380
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Nevada and have guardinship of my granddaughter.

This answer was rated:

I live in Nevada and have guardinship of my granddaughter. I want to move to Arizona. Can I move and then have the case transferred or do I need to apply to the court to move to Arizona

ScottyMacEsq : Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.
ScottyMacEsq : Are either of the biological parents living in Nevada?
Customer: Yes the mother
ScottyMacEsq : And to be clear, this is a court ordered guardianship?
Customer: yes
ScottyMacEsq : If one of the parents (noncustodial) is still living in NV, then NV would continue to have jurisdiction over the custody of the child (per the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act) and you would need to have court permission to relocate with the child.
ScottyMacEsq : One moment please...
ScottyMacEsq : NRS 125C.200 Consent required from noncustodial parent to remove child from State; permission from court; change of custody. If custody has been established and the custodial parent intends to move his residence to a place outside of this State and to take the child with him, he must, as soon as possible and before the planned move, attempt to obtain the written consent of the noncustodial parent to move the child from this State. If the noncustodial parent refuses to give that consent, the custodial parent shall, before he leaves this State with the child, petition the court for permission to move the child. The failure of a parent to comply with the provisions of this section may be considered as a factor if a change of custody is requested by the noncustodial parent.
ScottyMacEsq : Now this applies to not parental guardians as well...
ScottyMacEsq : You should contact the county clerk and ask whether they have forms for the custody and relocation.
ScottyMacEsq : If it's going to be contested (in that one or both of the parents will not consent to the relocation) I would highly advise getting an attorney to assit.
ScottyMacEsq : *assist
ScottyMacEsq : Only if it's uncontested would I even suggest you do it "pro se" (without an attorney)
Customer: thank you for the advice.
ScottyMacEsq : My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!
ScottyMacEsq and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions