How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16841
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married for 20 yrs now. MY husband an I are now

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 20 yrs now. MY husband an I are now living apart do to his parents interfering they have called me up tell me to get a abortion an also have told my husband to get rid of me. They are always calling an every family holiday has to be with them or they wont leave us alone. Now that we are living apart, his mother thinks its her right to tell my my side of the family that has no relations to her that he left me an filing for divorce, which is not the case. They are very controlling an will not stay out of our lives. Is there anything i can legally do to stop her from contracting my family members.

ScottyMacEsq : Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.
ScottyMacEsq : I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Ohio
ScottyMacEsq : Thank you. In your case you can get an "order of protection" against harassment and/or stalking. Basically if there is a pattern of conduct that knowingly causes another to believe that the offender will cause physical harm or mental distress to another person, that would qualify under Ohio law for a "civil protection order" (CPO). This is a restraining order that tells her to stop contacting your family members (with the intent to harass you ultimately). If she violates the order, she can be held in contempt.
ScottyMacEsq : The first thing I would do is contact the police (on the non-emergency line) and ask about harassment. This might be something that they will pursue, although it's also possible that they will say it's a civil matter.
ScottyMacEsq : You can also contact the county clerk in your area to find out if they have these forms for restraining orders / orders of protection.
ScottyMacEsq : If this is meant to harass you, that's clearly harassment, and you can pursue a restraining order that keeps her from contacting your family members.
ScottyMacEsq : Furthermore, you can send a "cease and desist" letter to her demanding that she stop defaming you, otherwise you may pursue legal recourse for the defamatory statements that she has made, along with the harassing behavior that she has engaged in.
ScottyMacEsq : (as a practical matter, it might not actually qualify for a defamation case, as defamation requires a false statement of material fact that causes identifiable, quantifiable harm... if you can't prove to a fair degree of certainty how much (in dollar figures) you were harmed by the defamatory statement, you would not be able to recover anything. It could be a good bluff though)
ScottyMacEsq : But the better argument is that her actions constitute harassment, and if so, you can pursue POTENTIAL criminal action against her (by contacting the police regarding her behavior) as well as civil action against her for the harassment.
ScottyMacEsq : Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!
Customer: Thank you for the information this helps my stress level some.
ScottyMacEsq and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you