How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced from a MN lady while I was in the military.

This answer was rated:

I was divorced from a MN lady while I was in the military. I call the court house in MN and informed them I could not make the divorce hearing do to being in NC. I later found that this should never have happened according to the Soldier Sailor act. (as explained to me, not by a lawyer). The court assigned me child support, more than happy to support my child, but I have since retired and the court is now raising my support, inflation, even though my ex-wife is now fully employed and my income has gone down. MN is already taking everything the federal gov will let them out of my retirement check. How, or is it even possible, do I change this?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

If you were on active duty, then you should have had protection under the act. At this point, the best and easiest thing to do would be to file a motion to modify your child support obligation to be consistent with what your income is. The judge should reduce your obligation in accordance with your income.

IF a long period of time - more than a year - has passed since the order was entered, you may be barred from trying to reverse the original order. But, the modification is definitely an option.
Roger and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you