How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am legal guardian for my 9 years old granddaughter. May I

This answer was rated:

I am legal guardian for my 9 years old granddaughter. May I take my granddaughter with me for vacation to Europe for 4 weeks. I am US citizen, so is my granddaughter.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

As your granddaughter's legal guardian, you may travel and vacation outside of the US unless a court rules otherwise.

In your situation it sounds as if the mother is asking the court to prevent you from the travel. In order for the mother to prevail, she will need to convince the court that it is not in your granddaughters best interest to vacation outside the US. Typically the court will allow such travel over the mother's objection if the court is convinced that it is your intention to return to the US at the end of the vacation.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I have a right to appeal if court deny my travel for vacation, and I will be back, no intention to not do so. I have my full time job here, and School for my granddaughter.

Apologies for the delay. Site difficulties made it impossible to respond sooner.

Yes you have the right to appeal should the judge rule in favor of the mother.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how i can make them to understand that i want only to go to vacation to visit family in Europe, but have no intention to stay there, as i have my job here, my health insurance , my 401 k, social security, and my granddaughter is going in school here, and for her opportunity in life, and my as well is better here where we live now.

All of these things that you have mentioned would typically be considered by the court to indicate your intention to return to the US. A round-trip ticket is typically essential as well
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you