How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a step father, I have 4 step daughter. me and my wife just

Resolved Question:

I'm a step father, I have 4 step daughter. me and my wife just came back from court because the father didn't want the youngest with us. After a attempt of contempt of court, the judge told the father he has to make the youngest come with us. The Judge didn't give a contempt to father, I didn't think it was fair, anyway so after the Judge told the father he left the courtroom he was very angry and just before he got in the elevator He said quote " when she gets their I'm going to make her f**k-up his house " make her (youngest) destroy my house when she comes. We let the father know of his IDEA of sending a 10 years old child destroy my property so we told him we had witness's (not true, but hopping he would not make her daughter do that) . So guess what, instead of making the little girl destroy our property, the Little girl punched her Mother, my wife on the eye on mother's day whit a rubber toy whit a hard piece of plastic. My wife could've got seriously hurt. My wife cried and was Very upset whit the Father. How can a man doe this to their own child.

we have a signed consent Order from court in which the father disobey at the least 2 or 3 consent orders. One of the contempt was on visitation, not letting the youngness to come (4 month past.) this was completed on May 06 2013. We didn't ask for prison but a parent coordinator on his dime. ( we didn't win, no Contempt for father !)

Second disobedience; again on Visitation although for overnight, father doesn't want the children to stay overnight.

Third disobedience; Visitations again but on Holliday's father doesn't want the children to be whit us on holidays.

Fourth disobedience; the verbal abuse toward me and mother. we know from older children and we are pretty sure that is why they are hitting us. One girl stab me whit a fork, she also slapped her mother on the head and calls her fat and other names. The other punched her on the eye whit a toy. We are talking about 2 Girls of 10 and 12. We know from the oldest 16 and 17, that The father and his Girl friend are making the Girls say and do those thing.

How can I deal whit a man so wrong like that. How can we defend ourselves whit a man that keeps talking bad of us, and make the children do and say thing.
Just a FYI The father and his Girl Friend used a variety of drugs, that may Explain lack of brain Cells.

Matt disobey the consent order from the start, one not letting the youngest come whit us which we didn't win, second for overnight, third visitation on holiday and last negative verbal abuse against me and my wife. So we went for contempt of court in MAY 06 2013 for the first disobedience on not letting the youngest coming whit us ( The Judge didn't not put the father in content . Can we go back from the beginning of the signed consent order and tried to put the father in a different contempt or we have to start from last contempt of court May 06 2013. Can we point out the things the girls did to us since the beginning or since last contempt.

I can't afford a Layer, we are prepare to do the same as last time, we went and file contempt for visitation. If we can put the man on contempt again, please include a link to the.PDF needed to file, so I don't mess-up.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 4 years ago.




Sorry to hear about this situation.


I think people often believe that contempt is some major punishment that the court will inflict on a person. While contempt of court can indeed lead to fines or even jail time, this is rather rare. Most often, when a contempt motion is brought before the court, the judge simply orders the offending party to correct the actions causing the contempt or to not engage in those actions again. The same offense can come before a judge numerous times and the judge still may never actually hold a party in contempt.


While I understand that the father's actions are completely egregious to you and your wife, the judge sees this kind of behavior from people all day long, actually expects it, and unfortunately, is probably pretty desensitized and jaded to it.


So that is why the judge isn't outraged and slapping the father with actual contempt, which could carry a fine or jail time.


It doesn't help your wife's cause when she keeps going back to court on contempt motions for every little thing that the father does or makes the child(ren) do. It is best to wait until there are quite a few things, or a real issue (like when the father wouldn't let the little girl go to your house).


This keeps the court visits down and keeps the judge from not taking you two seriously.


Personally, I would not go back on a contempt motion for anything in the past at this point. However, if your wife insists on doing it, she would not be barred procedurally.


This is the form for contempt, but this is just to show you and your wife what it looks like. You will need to get an actual form from the court house as there are carbonless copies involved:


Thanks for being such a great customer here at JA. If you have any further questions at all, please just let me know and I will be happy to help! :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i dont understand this part " she would not be barred procedurally "
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 4 years ago.


No problem, happy to clarify. What I meant is that even though I would not recommend that you wife file a contempt motion based on the past dealings with her ex at this time, the law would not prevent her from doing so. She could file the contempt motion and claim everything that happened even before the last time she was in front of the judge, but I do not think it is a good idea from a tactical standpoint.

LADY LAWYER and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time, but just one last thing. How long you would recommend we wait, and please a link and name on the file for contempt please but NOT on visitation one ??

Thank for all your time, it help. You say that happens a lot. This is so shameful it make me sick in the stomach.
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 4 years ago.

If you are going to file on everything you want to file on, you need not wait. I just think it is always best to file when you have a big issue in front of you, like the visitation issue, and then you can state all the other things that the parent is doing to be in contempt of the order. Otherwise, if people file for contempt on a bunch of little issues, the judge ends up getting annoyed and then doesn't take any of the contempt filings seriously.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about a "link for the visitation one". Do you mean that you need a motion for a modification or something like that?

LADY LAWYER and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm looking, i guess a legal paper to stop the physical abuse from the children. the father is crazy enough to make them hurt or for example: pour some water on my school laptop.

for example: at this link a can find the document I need for contemp for visitation.

Dom relm 3 is the file for contempt of visitation

but what do i use for physical and verbal abuse the father makes them do ??

thank you again