How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my social security check was garnished for back child-support,

This answer was rated:

my social security check was garnished for back child-support, but my child support has been paid. no one can tell me who the child or who the mother is. i did not receivrd any court papers. no information at all. i checked with the local office and they had nothing. c
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney in Mississippi. Thanks for your question.

If your benefits were garnished, then the SSA should have been provided with a writ of garnishment form, which should have a case number, the name of the court, etc. that issued the garnishment order - - it would likely be the chancery court for the county where your child support order was entered

You should be able to have someone at your local SSA agency get a copy of the garnishment order for you OR you can probably call the chancery court clerk's office for Lincoln Co. and they could look in your file to see if a garnishment has been issued.

Once you find out about the garnishment, you can file a motion to quash the garnishment IF you don't owe any child support arrearages. The court will cancel the garnishment if it is improper.

A local attorney can do this for you, or you can give it a try yourself. If you try this alone, you may want to contact a legal aid office in your area to help because dealing with the SSA isn't the easiest thing.
Roger and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you