Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

my social security check was garnished for back child-support,

my social security check was garnished for back child-support, but my child support has been paid. no one can tell me who the child or who the mother is. i did not receivrd any court papers. no information at all. i checked with the local office and they had nothing. c
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney in Mississippi. Thanks for your question.

If your benefits were garnished, then the SSA should have been provided with a writ of garnishment form, which should have a case number, the name of the court, etc. that issued the garnishment order - - it would likely be the chancery court for the county where your child support order was entered

You should be able to have someone at your local SSA agency get a copy of the garnishment order for you OR you can probably call the chancery court clerk's office for Lincoln Co. and they could look in your file to see if a garnishment has been issued.

Once you find out about the garnishment, you can file a motion to quash the garnishment IF you don't owe any child support arrearages. The court will cancel the garnishment if it is improper.

A local attorney can do this for you, or you can give it a try yourself. If you try this alone, you may want to contact a legal aid office in your area to help because dealing with the SSA isn't the easiest thing.