How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Four (4)ago I was incarcerated for 3 years and was not able

This answer was rated:

Four (4)ago I was incarcerated for 3 years and was not able to pay child support , before that I had always payed, except for 3-6 months that I had not payed. but now that I been out of prison for about a year and attorney general says that I have to pay about $55,000. what do you suggest that I should do? or should I get get an attorney to represent me. they gave papers to fill out , to make a review of this case . at the present that I'm working and paying child support. thank you
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Are you currently making child support payments?

Did you make any child support payments once you were release from prison?

Please provide me with more details.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am paying child support payments and a month after I got out I began paying since I started working.

Dear Rick,

Thank you for your follow up.

Is the back owed amount of child support for the period of time when you were incarcerated?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes most of it is. I do want to pay what is fair. can I realy trust most of this people or should I need and attorney to represent me .

Dear Rick,

Did you have any income or assets while you were incarcerated?

Did you ever ask the court to modify the child support amount due to your incarceration?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had no income or assets while incarcerated, at the time of my incarceration I did not do anything about it . I could realy think through all the prosses, am try to change my live for the better. it was a tough time for the whole family.

Dear Rick,

Thank you for your follow up.

If you did not have any income or assets while you were incarcerated, you would generally not be obligated to pay child support or would only have to pay minimal child support payment, however such reduction of child support payment is not done automatically and you would have to file a Petition to Modify Child Support Payment Amount.

Since that was not done prior or right after your incarceration, you can still file a petition with the family court to reduce the amount in arrears related to your child support payment, based on your incarceration and the judge will review your case and will likely reduce the amount of back owed child support.

This can be a complex area of law, so it would be a very good idea for you to consult and retain local attorney to help you proceed with your petition.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions