How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce decree states I maintain medical insurance, and

This answer was rated:

My divorce decree states I maintain medical insurance, and I do maintain it on my children. If my ex-wife goes out of state to a doctor for one of my children and stays in a hotel. Am I responible for part of her gas or hotel stay?
Dear JACUSTOMER - That would not be included in a medical bill so I would have to say your are not responsible. Obviously I am not the judge on your case and judges sometimes issue orders I don't agree with so I cannot guarantee that if this went to court some judge might not rule that it is included. Hotel bills are not generally considered usual or normal medical expenses but if there are some very unusual circumstances where your child needed specific treatment or care that could not be found in the area where the child resides then it may be possible that the hotel costs would be considered as part of the overall medical expense. This would be on a case by case basis and not the general rule covering medical expenses. I'm quite certain your divorce decree does not require you to pay these expenses so my suggestion would be to refuse to pay unless the court orders that you do. She would have to file a motion for the court to order such payments.
Dave Kennett and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you