Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Looking for same sex divorce help in the Rochester, NY area.

My ex and I are...
Looking for same sex divorce help in the Rochester, NY area. My ex and I are pursuing a divorce. I don't believe that we need lawyers but she states that she has been speaking with one. How soon should I get a lawyer?
5/12/2013
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing information to you today

Remember, I can only answer what you ask and so If you need to follow up, please do here.

You ask

"How soon should I get a lawyer"

Answer

I suggest you can wait until you are served with a Complaint. At that time you should consider consulting with a local attorney. If you need to find one, I suggest you can use the NY Bar Association Legal Referral Service. Here is the contact information

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Can my wife be held responsible for student loans incurred by me during our marriage?

Hello

Marital debt is subject to "equitable distribution" as are marital assets under NY Law

That means, if only you benefited from the school loans then a court will put those debts in your column not to be shared.

If it was a joint decision for you to have the school debt and you both benefited in some way, then a court may hold each accountable.

Its arguable either way

If you have other questions, you may reply here and I will continue to assist you. Otherwise, please rate "good to excellent" ~ Thanks and good luck

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law