How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking for same sex divorce help in the Rochester, NY area.

This answer was rated:

Looking for same sex divorce help in the Rochester, NY area. My ex and I are pursuing a divorce. I don't believe that we need lawyers but she states that she has been speaking with one. How soon should I get a lawyer?



I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing information to you today


Remember, I can only answer what you ask and so If you need to follow up, please do here.


You ask


"How soon should I get a lawyer"



I suggest you can wait until you are served with a Complaint. At that time you should consider consulting with a local attorney. If you need to find one, I suggest you can use the NY Bar Association Legal Referral Service. Here is the contact information

Samuel II and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can my wife be held responsible for student loans incurred by me during our marriage?


Marital debt is subject to "equitable distribution" as are marital assets under NY Law

That means, if only you benefited from the school loans then a court will put those debts in your column not to be shared.

If it was a joint decision for you to have the school debt and you both benefited in some way, then a court may hold each accountable.

Its arguable either way

If you have other questions, you may reply here and I will continue to assist you. Otherwise, please rate "good to excellent" ~ Thanks and good luck

Related Family Law Questions