How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i bought a house from a couple that was in the process of dividing

This answer was rated:

i bought a house from a couple that was in the process of dividing assets. They boyh agreeded to the purchase terms. I signed a land installment contract with the husband. Now the wife is going to get the proceeds fron the house and wants to change the terms to a payment I can't afford. Do I have a right to keep the original conctat as is , or do I have to agree to her terms.

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Did the wife sign the contract? Is the house in both names?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The house is in both names but the wife did not sign. The husband signed. We had it notarized and I had it recorded by the clerk of court in my county
Thank you for your information Floyd.

Unfortunately the wife is not bound by the contract since she did not sign the contract.

You may consider filing suit against the husband for fraud and breach of contract. The husband represented to you that he had the authority to enter into a contract to sell the property when in fact he did not. He then transferred his interest in the property in order to attempt to defeat your contractual rights. He is therefore acted in a fraudulent manner and breached his contract with you.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The property isn't transferred yet. Can I file something before it is transferred?
Yes you can. You can file a complaint to intervene in their divorce to protect your rights to the property. Of course, because of the nuanced details of the matter, I suggest that you retain a local attorney immediately.
Here is a link to a free site that may assist you in locating competent legal counsel:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hire a lawyer and ask that he do that.

It has been my pleasure to work with you Floyd

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly. To direct a future question to me, start your question with "For FiveStarLaw"

Best Regards,
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you