How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to get a divorce from my Husband.We got Married in the

This answer was rated:

I want to get a divorce from my Husband.We got Married in the Dominican Republic and both now reside in the United States.I live in Cleveland and he lives in New Jersey.We have been separated for over a year.He does not want a divorce.Is it possible for me to get one given the circumstances?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes it is possible to obtain a divorce. You can file for divorce in Ohio based upon your residency in Ohio. It is not necessary that you and your husband reside in the same state nor that he consent to the divorce.

Ohio law permits a divorce to be granted by the court when the parties have lived separate and apart without cohabitation for one year or more or based upon incompatibility.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.

Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about the fact that we were not married in the states?

Hi Jaclynn,

My answer stands regardless of the fact that you were not married in the States. The state the you reside in has jurisdiction regardless of where the marriage took place.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will I need any documents? We also have children, 7 and 9 who are with me 10 months of the year. Would this pose a problem?

Hi Jaclynn,

You will need to provide the Court with evidence that you reside in Ohio. Since the children are in Ohio more than 6 months of the year this should not pose any problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about Marriage license from Dominican Republic?

Typically the marriage license is not required. You can check with the clerk of the court's office in the county where you reside to see if there is a local rule requiring a copy of the license or marriage certificate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I go about filing?


JAs per site policy you are required to start a new page for a new question. That said, a divorce is commenced by filing a petition for dissolution with the clerk of the court's office.

If you would like to sign up for the subscription plan, there is no charge for additional questions.

If you start your question with "For FiveStarLaw" the question will be directed to me
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I moved to the states 6 years ago from the Dominican Republic, I have not gone for my naturalization interview which means I am not a 100% citizen yet. But, I am legal to work and live here.Would this pose a problem to an attempt to divorce?

It would not pose a problem for your divorce. However you would need to speak to an immigration attorney to determine whether it would have any effect on your status