How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My inlaws are both disabled mother in law at home in a wheel

This answer was rated:

My inlaws are both disabled mother in law at home in a wheel chair full time with a live care giver my farher in law is currently in a rehab/live in center. The rehab center is asking my wife ,who has POA for both parents to sign of for finacial responsibility when the medicare and his other ins runs out they are also asking for all their finacial info. I told her not to sign of on anything until her father ins runs out and we will deal with it then. Any advise
DearCustomer- I agree with you. She should not sign anything that even resembles financial responsibility. She will need to provide them with a copy of her POA which does not obligate her for any debts but she should not sign to be responsible., She can sign for permission to admit her parent to the nursing home and to be the party to notify in case of emergency but nothing that says she will be responsible for any debts. Either the parents have to pay from their own funds or apply for Medicaid but your wife should not accept financial responsibility. Once she does she can be responsible for a lot of money and have this hanging over her head for many years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can they take thr Father's income to pay his charges if his income is also paying for his wife's care who is a totally disabled?

Yes they can take his income if he is admitted to the home. Then his wife would have to apply for disability or Medicaid. Obviously the alternative is for your wife to pay the bills but there is no legal obligation to do so unless she signs the guarantee for the nursing home.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you recommend we get a lawyer to help us through and if so do you have a recommendation

It's always best to have legal counsel, especially before you sign anything. I can only offer general information from here since I have no way to analyze the financial condition of the parents or review any documents. We do not recommend private lawyers from this website but you can contact the Bar Association for a referral to an attorney in your area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help

No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you