How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13478
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im 15 and my boyfriend is over the age of 18 we had a baby

This answer was rated:

I'm 15 and my boyfriend is over the age of 18 we had a baby and both of my parents give consent for us to be together could there still be a problem with the law?
Thank you for your question.

No, there would not be any trouble, but only because the two of you are close in age and both consented. Pennsylvania's age of consent laws make allowances for adolescents who are under the age of consent, but close to the same age. Anyone between the ages of 13 and 16 can consent to have sex with anyone else who is no more than 4 years older.

Other states are not necessarily as kind (because generally, as a minor, you cannot consent to sexual relations, and your parents approval wouldn't mean anything legally)- but given where you live, you should be okay.

Pennsylvania does have a "corruption of minor" statute:

§ 6301 Corruption of minors.
(a) Offense defined.– (1) Whoever, being of the age of 18 years and upwards, by any act corrupts or tends to corrupt the morals of any minor less than 18 years of age, or who aids, abets, entices or encourages any such minor in the commission of any crime, or who knowingly assists or encourages such minor in violating his or her parole or any order of court, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

However, normally this statute is charged in conjunction with something else - e.g., if your boyfried got you into using drugs, and you were caught using, he could be charged with "corrupting" your morals. It is very unlikely he would be charged where the sex was consensual and you are so close in age.
RobertJDFL and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But we are not that close in age he is over 18 not 18 what could happen

Was he at the time you had sexual relations more than 4 years older than you? And how old were both of you when you had sexual relations? Once I know this information, I can let you know the possible penalties.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yea he was hes six years older

I was 14 he was 20

when my parents found out of course they got

mad but later gave me consent do you know if its possible for us

to get married?

Sorry for the delay, seem to be having a few site issues that were making it hard for me to log in.

Now, that does change things, given your age and the age difference. Here is the law in Pennsylvania:

§ 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.
Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.

So, technically, yes he committed a felony -even though you consented, simply because under the law, you were too young to do so (the age of consent in Pennsylvania is 16). That said - your parents and his parents are okay now with what went on, so they are not going to report the matter to the police, and it doesn't sound like you want to do so either. Thus, it would require someone else reporting it to the police for the matter to even be investigated.

As far as marriage, applicants between 16-18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to provide written consent to the marriage at the time you apply for a marriage license. Applicants under 16 years of age must have both the written approval of a judge of the Orphan's Court Division of the Common Pleas AND a parent or legal guardian given written consent. So, you could get married now if you petitioned the court and the judge agreed (most likely, they would want to know that you would be provided for by your boyfriend if you got married and would not end up a burden of the state) and your parents consented. If you want until you are 16, and can get your parents' approval, you can get a marriage license and be married without needing to go to court.