How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16626
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Washington State and intend to have a prenup drawn

This answer was rated:

I live in Washington State and intend to have a prenup drawn up here by a Washington Attorney. My fiance is in China. Is it better for her to sign in China (with a Chinese speaking attorney) or wait until she gets here. I have read that it is better to have her sign there so it doesn't appear she was under duress after getting here.

Can I contact and pay for her attorney or is that a conflict of interest?

Also if after marriage I sell my separate property (like house if we move) are the proceeds still mine? and should that be specifically written into the agreement.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

It is generally better for the Fiancee to sign such prenuptial agreement in China but with a Chinese speaking attorney who is licensed in Washington State and also with a translator, since the fiancee can claim ineffective assistance of counsel, if she signs such prenuptial agreement on the advise of a Chinese licenses attorney, as such attorney would not be trained or knowledgeable in the US law.

It should be your fiancee who should make the contact to the local Chines-American attorney and while you can give your fiancee money to pay for this attorney, if your pay the legal fees, that could be viewed as undue influence and conflict of interest.

It would make sense to make your prenuptial agreement as specific as possible to make sure that your intent is properly reflected in the agreement and your pre-marital and any separate property is well protected.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you excellent and very clear answers.


PS, do you think there are attorneys in Beijing that are licensed for WA. Maybe they do business with WA and have them?


There are definitely some American-Chinese attorneys who have are dual licensed in the US and China or just in US and do business in China and you can contact The Asian Bar Association at the link below for more information as to how to local such attorney:

I wish you the best of luck!

Related Family Law Questions