How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 27 years old now. When I was 16 I was awarded some money

This answer was rated:

I am 27 years old now. When I was 16 I was awarded some money from an accident and the judge agreed for me to have the money instead of waiting until I was 18 since I was married. The lawyer said the check had to be made to someone over 18 so it was made to my stepmother. I didny get the money but she says she cashed the check and gave me the money. After this long can I file criminal charges against her in Ky?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What was the amount of the settlement that your stepmother kept?

Why did you wait so long to consider legally pursuing this matter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 2000 dollars and Ive waited hoping to keep family ties but my dad died 4 years ago and we arent friendly now anyway.

While a theft of $2,000 would be considered a felony under Kentucky law, if the check was made out in your stepmother's name, even though it was given to her so she can give it to you, it would not likely be considered a criminal matter, but a civil matter and unfortunately the statute of limitations to sue your stepmother for this money she misappropriated has long expired and you would not be able to pursue this claim civilly.

I am very sorry to deliver this bad news to you and I do wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The check was made out to her for me. Does that answer still apply?

Yes the same answer would apply.

Thank you and GOD bless you!
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you