How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Process Regarding 21 days from time of judges order: Paul,

This answer was rated:

Process Regarding 21 days from time of judges order:
Paul, a just received a signed copy of the 10 year Injunction between me and my children. The order was signed on 4/26/13. 21 days from that is 5/17/13. The motion trial requesting that the judge, "modify or amend the criminal no contact order" is 5/20/13. It would have been nice if the 21 days ended after 5/20/13 so the judge could make a determination on an Injunction Reconsideration motion after working through 5/20 hearing. In the motion to reconsider the injuncition, how does it work, does the judge have to rule something within 21 days to stay his order or does he just need to schedule a hearing or the "reconsider" piece and that stays the process?
Thank you for your new question.

You need to appeal the new order and file a motion to stay the order pending appeal. File your notice of appeal, motion for stay on appeal and a motion for reconsideration on the order now, all at the same time, which will at least buy you time for the upcoming hearing to rule on the matter. If you lose at this new hearing in criminal court, then you can always file motions to dismiss the motions in the family court if you choose not to pursue the appeal or reconsideration to at least have the 18 year old excluded from the order.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul, for a second, let's just look at the motion for reconsideration. If the judge will just agree to take the case, even if the motion itself is not heard within 21 days by 5/17/13, agreeing to take the case will block it from taking affect? Do courts usually send out something to the parties if they agree to take the Motion for reconsideration?


Additionally, my position is that if the judge will amend the no contact criminal order than the injunction becomes a non-issue because I no longer want to finght to have any visitation, I just don't want it to be illegal for contact to occur. Does that make sense? Thanks, Andy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul, I had a few typos earlier. I don't want to FIGHT anymore and I don't want contact to be illegal. Sorry for the errors but wanted to be clear.

Thank you for your response.

No, they do not send out a notice specifically that they will hear the case and you need to file the motion to stay execution of that order pending your motions. This is why you file the motion to stay, which the judge will issue a ruling on. The reconsideration on the other hand, the judge does not have to issue any notice to you, they can decide that reconsideration without any hearing and simply deny it, which is what they do most times.

You do not have to really fight, just file these motions to hold things up until you get the criminal ruling, then you can dismiss all of the motions if you do not want to fight
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you