Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I have an out of control 16yr old. He no longer wants to follow

I have an out of control 16yr old. He no longer wants to follow our rules. He has runaway one time 3 weeks ago. He is now staying with his aunt and uncle, which I agreed to. Now my mother whom has not been involved in our lives for 7 yrs. is sticky her nose in our business. She went to our county department of social services and is requesting child support for my son. He does not live with her.

He has a home and a family to support him. However, he doesn't want to follow rules and is very disrespectful so he is not with us. How do I deal with the issue of my mother going to DSS for child support? How do I possible relinquish my parental rights, so that his actions do not end up getting me in trouble and not have to pay child support. If he can't follow the rules why should I pay for him to live else where and do as he pleases.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not sure why your mother would be able to get child support - as you mentioned she does not care for the child. Unfortunately, you won't be able to just "relinquish" your rights without the child being adopted by someone else. I'm not sure if this is the case with you, but DSS can take a child out of the home for "neglect". I defend these cases in my daily practice. In that process, the court can find a suitable guardian (usually a family member) to place the child with. The parent sometimes gives up their parental rights and sometimes they are removed.

Customer:

It's not that I don't want my son, but due to the circumstances and having other impressionable siblings in the home I can not allow his behavior in our home. My concern is how do I go about resolving the issues of where he resides and whom has responsibility over him. Like I said he is staying with someone else but legally i'm still the parent. we are moving out of state and he will not likely go with us. what do I do

SoloLawyer :

Hello, are you still there.

Customer:

yes

SoloLawyer :

Okay, I'm sorry, chat was being wonky on me.

Customer:

ok

SoloLawyer :

I would resolve any issues with your son before you move. You are his legal guardian and are legally responsible for his care and well-being. If you leave, you could definitely have neglect charges filed against you.

SoloLawyer :

The best option would be to bring the child with you during the move and start figuring out what to do in the mean time.

Customer:

unfortunately, I don't think I could even get him in my car without a physical altercation, which I won't do. I don't know where to start as far as getting the state involved, which I prefer not to but with a mother like mine I'm sure that's what will happen. what are the laws with unruly teens

SoloLawyer :

Each state has its own laws. You can certainly call your youth court and get the child in the system. He would be forced to comply or face detention. Most importantly, he can get the help he really needs.

Customer:

thank you. I definitely do not want my son in the youth court if possible. but some teens just don't listen. I feel like this kid had everything and has thrown it all away. will dss possibly provide some kind of help. how do you find out about youth court

SoloLawyer :

You can call up to your local youth court and ask them how to get your child into the system, explain your problem, etc.

SoloLawyer :

It's hard to say what DSS will do without knowing exactly what type of case has been opened or if they opened one at all.

Customer:

I did receive child support papers in the mail. stating that my mother opened a case against me regarding my son. it says I have a hearing at the end of the month

SoloLawyer :

Thank you. The child support case would not cover the legal issues associated with your guardianship of the child.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry, I had the rating feature disabled.

SoloLawyer :

Anything else I can help you with?

If you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively. Good luck and take care!

Michael