Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

do you have to pay allimony after 3yrs

do you have to pay allimony after 3yrs
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/6/2013
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer

texlawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

What state are you in? Have either party's financial circumstances changed since the alimony was ordered?

Customer:

I'm in texas i have not filed yet

texlawyer :

OK. How long have you been married?

Customer:

since 4-22-2010, but I filed on her in 9-15-2012 and then dropped the case. i also moved out in june of that same year....

texlawyer :

Has either party been convicted of domestic violence?

Customer:

no, but I left due domestic violence issues on her part. But I did not want to file a case....

texlawyer :

Are you wanting to claim alimony, or do you think she is going to claim alimony?

Customer:

she makes a bout as much as I do and she may want to claim alimony we have one small child..I don't want alimony

texlawyer :

OK. Under Texas law, she is not entitled to alimony (in Texas, it's called spousal support). In order to get spousal support in Texas, the couple must be married at least 10 years (unless there was domestic violence involved, then it can be less). Since you have only been married 3 years, you will not be ordered to pay spousal support.

Customer:

Thank you so much....That was worth every penny.....!!!!! peace of mind at last...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer