How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife abondened me last June. She did not financilly provide

This answer was rated:

My wife abondened me last June. She did not financilly provide support to the house. I do not know where she is. I have a list of places that she may be but I don't really want to find out. I am happy to have here gone. How hard do I have look during the divorce process to find her.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If you do not have an address you can sign an affidavit to that effect at the clerk of courts when you file for your divorce and have her served by publication in the official court reporter. The noticed will be published for several weeks and then she will be deemed to have been served and you will be able to obtain your divorce on a non contested basis. There is no duty for your to go to any extraordinary lengths to find her so as long as you don't know her address you can honestly say you do not know her location when you sign the affidavit at the court. The attorney you consulted was correct that you should move on and file for your divorce.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For a uncontested divorce do I need to use a lawyer or can I use a paralegal?

You can use a paralegal if they are licensed to do the work. You can file on your own as well. If the paralegal is not licensed in your state to do the work then you would either have to file on your own or use an attorney.
Dave Kennett and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you