Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How long can a G.A.L. take to do their investigation?

Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

There is no specific time limit for how long a Guardian Ad Litem has to finish up their investigation. However, the accepted and standard time is about 1-2 months, unless the Court has given the GAL a certain deadline.

However, if the GAL is taking an extra long time for no reason at all, a party in the case may bring a motion to compel the GAL to hurry up, in a non-standard motion such as Motion to Compel Completion of Guardian Ad Litem's Report to the Court, for example.

Then, the Court makes a subjective decision based on why it is taking the GAL so long to begin with, and can tell the GAL to hurry up. However, the party bringing this also risks getting into bad graces with the GAL, which is never good because even if the GAL is supposed to be 100% neutral, we all know that this is never true.

I hope this clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

G.A.L. was appointed 1/25 and payments were arranged/payed on 2/4 so he could start. My husband and I met with him on 2/7 (This is for custody of his daughter). I am assuming the mother has not contacted/answered his calls. Is there anything we can do in that case?

Hello S,

Thank you for your follow up.

If it has been 3 months already and the GAL has not done anything, then one may wish to bring the aforementioned motion before the Court since this is more than enough time to do a study in most cases. However, there is a risk in alienating the GAL, so there is risk.

Gentle Reminder: Again, surely you prefer that I be honest in my answer – please remember that rating negatively due to receiving bad news still hurts the expert – it is simply the way that the system is set up. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. (You may always ask follow ups free after rating.)