How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! A good friend of mine asked me to "Officiate"/Marry he

Resolved Question:

Hi! A good friend of mine asked me to "Officiate"/Marry he and his Fiance and we live in Glynn County Georgia. I am not a minister nor do I presently have a license (if required) to marry them. My friend, the Groom said he thought I could simply go to a web site and get an authority of some kind sufficient to marry them and sign the marriage license that would be accepted in Glynn County/GA? What options do I have to get such authority? My wife is a licensed minister and says she could sign off on the marriage license. Suggestions for me to "Officiate"? Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you with this matter today

Georgia law is any Licensed or ordained ministers, clergymen, or pastors of recognized religious societies, and justices of the peace may perform a marriage and it is the ordained minister who must sign off on the certificate

As to "Officiating" a couple may choose whom they please but the Minister must also be present at the ceremony and oversee it. They then must sign the certificate of marriage and return that to the clerk of the court in the county where this has taken place.

Samuel II and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you