How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31685
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of getting a separation from my husband.

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of getting a separation from my husband. The home we live in is his side of the family and is in a trust. While we are working through the divorce settlement do I get monies for having to move out and rent. His family also lives on the property. Do I need a legal separation from a lawyer for this or is it my responsibility to pay rent cause I moved off the property?? I live in the state of Maine. My husband makes a lot more money than I do.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

It is possible to receive money from your spouse during the divorce process for rent and other expenses you will have, BUT you must file a motion with the court for temporary spousal support to be in effect throughout the divorce proceedings.

Thus, you should get a local attorney to represent you on this and file a motion for temporary spousal support. This order will provide you with money from your spouse to pay rent and possibly other expenses you can't cover alone.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank-you for your answer. 2 yrs. ago I had left and we were not legaly separated. I was out of my family home for 4 months, and he did not offer to help me at that time. I was in a higher paying job then so did not push the matter. I really would like to do this in a friendly manner, but I do believe I deserve some help if I am the one who has to leave. I wanted to keep this out of a battle in court. But I do want to know my rights. I will be seeking to have him buy a place for me, but will need to rent till that happens.


I understand that you don't want to end up in protracted litigation, BUT you certainly have the right to seek temporary support from him, and if he won't voluntarily help you, then the only alternative is to get an attorney and file for temporary support.
Roger and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you