How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117373
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an 62 year old disabled veteran. My ex-wife is bleeding

This answer was rated:

I am an 62 year old disabled veteran. My ex-wife is bleeding me dry financially. can something be done?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Can you please explain what she is receiving from you? Also, are you receiving veteran disability pensions (for your disability and not for your inability to work, as military pensions are divided in that manner)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A few years ago I regained my competency, but she seems to drive me crazy. I do not HAVE to provide any support , but she digs & digs & promises to come see me ...but she needs $$$.I am permanently and totally disabled due to individual unemployablity. I am PTSD & agent orange,with all that goes with it. Some of my meds make me easily influenced & she knows it.

Thank you for your additional information.

If you are under no obligation to give her any support or money by any court order, there is a fairly easy solution should you want to use it. If you are not able to resist her pressure because of your medications, you would need to give someone close to you guardianship over your affairs. Once you give over guardianship to that person then you give up power to make any decisions to give her anything and you need to pick someone who will stand up to her and tell her "NO!" As part of this, you would also instruct your guardian to get a restraining order against her to prevent her from contacting you based on the continued harassment for money.

Unfortunately, other than you being able to stand up to her and go get your own restraining order and then pursue any violations of that order in court against her, this would be your only other legal recourse in this matter.

You do understand, as you said above, that you do not have to give her anything, so you need to find some way to stop her from being able to easily influence you and the best way is appointing a guardian so you do not have to deal with her at all and cannot give her any money because you would not have the legal control then to do so (if you know you cannot stand up to her yourself and pursue and enforce a restraining order).

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wanted to know if she is breaking any laws.. like abuse?

Thank you for your response.

It is not abuse if you are competent now and you are allowing her to badger you into giving her money. If you give up guardianship of yourself to another person and she badgers you, then it is potentially financial abuse of the disabled and certainly if you get a restraining order against her and she contacts you after that it is contempt of court for which she can go to jail.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions