Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 2006. We have

Customer Question
a son, who is almost...
My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 2006. We have a son, who is almost 10 years old, who was a result of the relationship we had prior to being married. We were both extremely young (in college) and the baby was not planned. He was extremely emotionally abusive during my pregnancy (I have documented proof of this from emails, journals my mother kept, etc). When our son was born, he changed his behavior and started to treat me better, and he fell in love with his son. The result was that we were married about a year after our son was born. The marriage did not last long. He was emotionally abusive, forced me to take anti-depressants and told me I was "crazy," denied my desires to further my education, etc. I ended up cheating on him, and we got divorced.

I am now remarried, and for the past 8 years, my ex-husband has been impossible to get along with. He bends the parenting plan to his will. We end up in mediation over every single thing---requests to take vacation in the summer that follow the letter of the parenting plan end up in mediation because he won't be flexible. He dictates every extracurricular activity and all of our son's schedule, even though I have joint legal custody. He impedes my ability to interact with my son at school events, etc. because he never allows me to have my own time with him during my portion of visitation. He accuses me of lying at every turn. The stress and problems this has caused have put so much strain on my current marriage that it is also on the brink of collapse. My younger son (a result of my second marriage) experiences emotional distress because of how my ex-husband manipulates his brother and our family schedule.

My ex makes it impossible for my family to lead a normal life or schedule. I'm held prisoner by the wants and expectations of a man I divorced almost a decade ago. I see a therapist multiple times a week. What he has done is systematically destroy any personal freedom or autonomy I would hope to have in my new life with my family. Do I have options, beyond attempting to modify the parenting plan, that would provide me some relief and protection for how he asserts his will over me and my family?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2013
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 4 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry to hear of this situation. It is terrible to be in such a controlled situation. You do not say how old you son is?

Also, he is with this Father full time?

My son will be 10 years old soon. We have had 50/50 visitation and joint legal custody since the divorce.

Hi

Thank you for the information

So to reiterate your question is

Do I have options, beyond attempting to modify the parenting plan, that would provide me some relief and protection for how he asserts his will over me and my family?

And the answer is if he is in violation of the Custody Order, then you file a Contempt Motion with the court.

Other than that, a change in the plan is your only option.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law